ANTWERPEN. Contributie van 300 Gulden. black. Folds and small tear near the top. Text in Flemish. In June 1794, the French Revolutionary Army occupied the Austrian Netherlands. Property of fled people (and churches) was often confiscated by the new rulers. As such, Antwerp was asked to contribute 10 million Livres (which corresponds to the annual salary of 20.000 craftsmen) from the possessions of the runaways to the French rulers. This certificate states that a Mr. Ermens had paid 300 Guilders on behalf of J.B. Cogels (who had left the city inadvance of the French Army entering it) as partial payment for what Cogels owned due to their ownership of 3 houses in Antwerp and a farm with domains in Deurne (Rivierenhof). The well-known bankers family Cogels had close ties to the previous Austrianrulers (Empress Maria Theresia gave them a noble title in 1753) so they sought refuge in Münster. One year later, in the summer of 1795, the French authorities gave permission to Cogels to return to Antwerp and they were given back all confiscated goods.
Thema's: BEFORE 1800, CITY & STATE BONDS
Startprijs: € 200