ST. PETERSBURG. 10 Actions de 100 Rbls. red, blue. No 1332-41. Central fold and ink stain at the top (almost entirely outside the printed part of the share). Vignette of a horse-tram and a tram track with switches and branches on the left and right. A first horse-drawn tramway on the Nevsky Prospect, one of the most important roads in St. Petersburg, was planned in 1862. The 3 km. line opened in 1863. More lines were soon opened and the line became quickly known as the 'Konka'. From the 1870s onwards, two-story wagons were used with the upper deck being open (and thus cheaper: 3 kopecks versus 5 kopecks). For reasons of decency, women were not allowed to climb the stairs to the upper deck... Became a joint-stock company in 1878. At that point, the company already operated 30 lines with a total length of 160km. In 1882, a first steam locomotive was put in place. By 1899 (when this share was issued), the company owned 17 locomotives, operated from Germany (Krauss) and Belgium (Cockerill). In the 1880s, the mainland was connected with the St. Petersburg Islands by laying tracks on the frozen Neva River during winter time. In 1906, 106 million passenger tickets were sold. Four years before, the City took over a majority of the shares in the company. However, the stock corporation continued to exist, but under urban control. The cert. is part of the capital increase (from 225,000 rbls in 1878 to 325,000 roubles) of 1887, even though the share was only issued in 1899. Only this one cert. has ever been seen of this 10-share type of the St. Petersburg tramway company.
Themes: RAILROADS, TRAMWAYS
Startprice: € 2600