TRONDHJEM. Aktiebrev Kr.500 (Kr.100). green, black. No 1078. Water stain at the bottom right. Crossed hammers in design and underprint. The first copper-mine in the Roros district of central Norway dates from 1645, and mining continued until the bankruptcy of this company in 1977. Starting in 1740 and onwards was a period of greatness for the Roros Copper Works with several mines yielding well. Dynamite was utilized from 1870 and later drilling machines. The electrical generating station built high-tension power lines to supply the mines starting in 1897. The Bessemer process was introduced at the end of the 1800s. The Rorosbanen railway line was completed in 1877. High prices for both copper and zinc gave good results, but then the prices dropped and there were several years with large losses. After 333years, mining activity in Roros ceased in 1877. It is one of two towns in Norway that were historically designated "mining towns" (the other being Kongsberg). The modern-day inhabitants of Roros still work and live in the characteristic 17th and 18th century buildings which have led to its designation as an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Themes: MINES (other than coal, gold)
Date: 1 October 1917
Startprice: € 100