HAINAUT. MARCINELLE. Inscription au Tableau. grey, black. No 7. Folds. Mining in the Bois de Cazier, Marcinelle, started in 1822. This company was founded in 1861 to expand the exploitation of the coalfield. A major explosion in 1898 halted any further mining and the concession was taken over by the S.A. des Charb.d'Amercoeur in 1899. Yet, the S.A. du Charb. du Bois du Cazier remains the exploitant of the mine. In 1956, the largest mine disaster in Belgian history took place in the mine, killing 262 miners. It led to new legislation to better protect and give more rights to miners. The mine was closed in 1967. Today, the site is home of a museum.
Themes: COALMINES, MINES (other than coal, gold)
Startprice: € 50