PARIS. Part de Fondateur. brown, green. No 420. Decorative piece, with Mercury (female) and Flora, Egyptian scenes (oasis, mosque, camels). A Jewish merchant named Hannaux opened 'Le Petit Bazaar' in Cairo in 1882. This expanded to a large textile emporium, and fashionable department store ; a branch was opened in Alexandria. The Cairo shop was burned down by a mob in 1952, and the whole Hannaux business was nationalised in 1956. However, today there is again a Grands Magasins Hannaux in Alexandria.
Themes: COLONIES, SHOPS & MARKETS
Date: 1 February 1914
Startprice: € 50