LIVERPOOL. 5 Shares. black. No 296-300. Trimmed borders. Very fine engraving of the cemetery gateway, and printed on vellum. This cemetery was a pioneer in setting new standards in cemeteries. Before the Burial Act of 1855, they were most insanitary places. The vaults under the pavement of churches, and the open ground around them, were crammed with coffins. Coffins were placed level above level in the graves until they were only just below the surface. To make room for fresh burials the keepers had to secretly remove bones and partially-decayed remains; the whole area around a churchyard was unhealthy. There was an obvious need for new and better facilities. A few new cemeteries had been developed by private companies (formed by Act of Parliament) to established large new sites, with decent, sanitary conditions; their number and role were greatly strengthened after 1855, when the Burial Act closed most of the churchyards to further burials. St. Mary’s was one of the first of the new type of cemetery. Very rare and important piece.
Date: 1 August 1837
Startprice: € 800