13 BOUCHES-DU-RHONE. MARSEILLE. Action de F250. olive, black. #1400. No 730. Folds with two tiny holes. Brown spots, mostly at the borders. Company formed 1854, with a capital of 350.000 francs in 1440 shares of 250 francs. The zoo opened 1856 on the Plateau Longchamp of the city. Marseille was the first city in France outside Paris to have a zoo. The idea came from M. Bartholémy-Pommeraye, director of the Museum of Natural History in the city, and the aim was to allow the acclimatization of animals, and to encourage the Marseillais to get to know them. It was built on several hectares of vineyards and olive-groves, next to the Palais Longchamp, and held hundreds of species of mammals, reptiles and birds, including an elephant, camel, giraffe, kangaroo, bears, various types of deer and much else. At first there was arhinoceros and a hippopotamus, but they died and were not replaced. There was a pool for seals, a dolphin show, and a dressage school for horses. In the early years, there were always financial problems, and the city took over the administration of thezoo in 1863. In the 1970s attendance fell and the zoo became a poor, sad and neglected place. It was finally closed in 1987. Most attractive piece, with great palm-trees, cactus and other exotic plants at both sides, and view of Marseille, the sea and shipping at the bottom. First time in our auctions and certainly one of the rarest and earliest of all zoo scripophily. From an old collection.
Themes: ZOO & CIRCUS
Startprice: € 3000